Friday, September 4, 2009

Yay! Kettles rock!

I have finally got a kettle, after many days (3) of searching! I met some friendly folks from a uni in manchester yesterday at orientation, and bumped into a couple of them today. One of them told me there was a carrefour at a shopping centre nearby at Port Dieu where her parents had bought her a cheap 'bouilloire' (which is near-impossible to pronounce), so I set off to find it.

Found the metro near the uni, and travelled into the centre to pay some euros into my new account in the central LCL (le credit lyonnaise). I found it easily, it being on the main road (rue de la republique) and while it looked like a normal old french building from the outside, I felt immediatley under-dressed as soon as I walked in the door. It was like a palace! A huge sweeping staircase greeted me, with antique sofas next to it. A woman directed me towards the 'caisses' where I could pay in my money, and I found myself in a massive marble ballroom! It's worth a visit even if you don't have an account there!

Then I went to find the shopping centre and carrefour. I was expecting to have to walk a bit to find it, but no, the tube deposits you on the ground floor of the shopping centre, and the most difficulty I had was navigating my way through the vastness of it to find the 2-storey supermarket!

So I got my kettle, and know that I can go back there for a cheap toaster if I decide I need one. I suppose I'll just be frying all my bread now though, a la francaise!

No comments:

Post a Comment