Thursday, September 3, 2009

Orientation meeting

Well, the weather's still warm, even though it's a bit grey. It was 31 degrees when we arrived and has stayed around that mark since. Just got back from supermarket buying essentials like chocolate filled cereal and raspberry juice. I also managed to get sponges and washing up liquid so I can clean my plate and cutlery properly.

I met a girl from 2 doors down (which brings back memories of punk and 'stuff' for those who know what I'm on about!) who's from Germany but speaks very good french, and we had a wander into the centre and got a drink at a boat-bar. That's my name for it anyway, it's really awesome, there's a massive river (the rhone) which has a load of boats on the bank which all have bars in them with tables and chairs inside and on the shore. The one we went into had another boat inside it, which acted as the bar, how cool is that?!

Anyway, had my orientation meeting this morning (when I found the uni-I managed to go the wrong way twice!) which basically told me everything I already knew, but there was some interesting stuff too. As a student, I can buy admission to 10 shows;cinema, theatre, opera, dance e.t.c. for 36 euros. I also found out where I can apply for housing benefits (they give you so much help as a student in france, it's unbelievable!) and where I can get cheaper metro tickets. there's another meeting tomorrow where the school system is explained to us, because in your 1st year you have term 1 and term 2, in your 2nd year it's term 3 and 4 and so on, so its slightly wierd and confusing, especially because as an exchange student I can choose something from any term/year, it's pick and mix which is cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the list of courses tomorrow.

I'm really glad that I've already done all the bank stuff too, I just need to pay money in. I was going to do it today, but people were spilling out the door!

Anyway, I've rambled for long enough for now, I'll let you know if anything else interesting happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment