Saturday, September 5, 2009

Walking all over town

Well, I've had a busy morning! It's been really sunny and bright today, so when I got up, I decided that it was the perfect sight-seeing and photo-taking day, so I wandered to pont de la guilotterie, crossed the rhone and walked across the centre of town to cross the saone to get to the old town. I thought I'd wander round the streets and then walk up the hill to look at the citadel on top, getting great views of the city.

So, wandered through town and got to the old town, and found one of the stations, which I'm sure will be helpful in the future! then I wandered through the streets looking at the old buildings, many restaurants and shops. I found the most amazing shop in a really wierd place. There was a sign outside encouraging you to walk down a tiny alleyway to get to a medieval shop. So I walked down the alley, marvelled at the small coutyard at the end of the alley, with a stone spiral staircase in one corner, and walked into the shop, which was exactly as it said outside; a medieval shop. There was everything you'd expect to find at a medieval fair, from clothes to jewellery, leather pouches, suits of armour, mead and other such medieval style drinks. It was truly amazing. Will definatley be going back there for mead and some other drinks, which I didn't recognise.

There were a couple of museums there aswell, a miniature museum which also had props from movies; there was a robot from I-Robot and C3PO in the entrance. I didn't go in, because I'd forgotten my student card, so couldn't get a cheap ticket. There was also a french punch and judy museum, which is called guignol et gnafron, and they're on all the postcards here, so I guess it was invented here or something.

Then I wandered up the hill to see the citadel and the view. just before I got there, I saw a metro which I thought would be useful in the future, turned around and was stunned by the roman theatres. I thought I'd go and see how much they were to get in for when I came back with my student card. No need, both of them had free entry, and were just treated like a park! They were so stunning, I spent ages there. That was when I really fell in love with Lyon. The town is great (boasting 16 cinemas, which makes a change from 1 with 2 screens), the old town is beautiful (with the medieval shop being a major plus!), but free entry to two gorgeous roman theatres?! That really sold it for me! I never did make it to the citadel...

Even though it was really close, I was feeling pretty worn out and didn't want to fit everything into one day (I'm not really sure that's possible in a town like Lyon though!) So I wandered back through the streets to the old town, crossed the bridge to the centre and wandered back down rue de la republique, at the end of which I found a stage with a load of street dance going on! I stayed and watched for a bit, some of it was amazing, I think it was a kind of advert for a street and hip hop dance school or club, but I'm not too sure.

So that was my day, it's been really great, I'm so glad that I can get the tube across town and see the roman theatres whenever I want! The big church will have it's day, I'm sure!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've had a really adventurous day Kiera. It does sound amazing and we cant wait for you to show us round.
    You seem to be finding all sorts of gems all over the city - just wandering and being inquisitive - c'est fantastique!
    Speak later
    Dad

    ReplyDelete