Saturday, September 19, 2009

Well, not much done yesterday! I went to the shopping centre at part-dieu (the huge one with 2-storey carrefour in it) and bought some clothes too. I realised that even though I signed up for sports when I was in England, I neglected to bring any sporty-type clothes with me. I think it's because I'm a genius and have better, more important things to think about...? Anyway, I bought some sporty trousers and I got some curlers too, cos I'm bored of my hair but hair dye is sooo expensive (10 euros and over) and it's pretty much all permenant. And brown. Many, many shades of brown. Anyway, I got some food (including meat, cos I've been eating pretty much exclusively veg since I got here) and made coq-au-vin for dinner. Yum yum yum! I need some flour though to make some proper sauces!

Apparently theres a kind of middle-eastern market nearby with spices and colours because we're near the 'foreign' area where there's lots of muslims and indians e.t.c. It's very split up in France, there are definite foreign areas! but still, it's ok.

Anyway, later on I went to a house party that Chris took me and Claire to, which was miles away and difficult to find. But it was really fun and lasted ages. Loads of people were dropping off on the sofa, and although we’d been offered a portion of sofa to sleep on too, me and Claire really wanted to get back to our own beds. All the French people were completely shocked by this though, saying ‘no no, you’ll be attacked’ but we decided to brave it cos we were going to be walking together, so they gave us a map and wished us luck. We left Chris sleeping on the sofa. He was happy there!

So we got back to claire’s and had a fruity tea before bed, by which time it was something like 5.30. I only realised this morning that I could have got the metro back from there if I’d wanted to, because they open at 5. I woke up, had a drink of water and waited for everything to seem normal again, said goodbye to Claire and staggered up the road, into a bakery and ate a brioche on the tube back to mine, where I had a hot chocolate and slept till 12.

Vaguely refreshed, I got the tube into town with my telecy card (which arrived this morning and costs 24,30 euros a month for unlimited tube, tram and bus access) and went to the musee des beaux arts. It’s stunning, I didn’t see it all, but there is a really good ancient greek and Egyptian section, which looks like they’ve flown in half a pyramid. There are massive chunks of wall (not just the normal big chinks that you normally see in museums, actually at least as big as the wall of a house) Really cool!

I’m just wondering what to do with myself now, watch a film, see if anyone’s going out, hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment